Tyshon talks #TheMisconceptionOfAGemini with Beats and Bars



 

 

 

An aspiring culture contributor representing Connecticut, Tyshon has kicked off 2017 with a focus on his media mentions, utilizing arguably the most important element to heighten awareness on his brand. Playing my part, I sat down with brother recently for an exclusive interview. Check it out below:

 

 

 

Jason Bourne: Wanted to start off with the formalities, you are a Hip Hop recording artist representing the city of New Haven, Connecticut correct ? Talk to us about the Hip Hop scene in New Haven and when you originally realized that your calling was as a performer and recording artist


Tyshon: Yes. I am a Hip Hop recording artist out of New Haven, CT. The Hip Hop scene in New Haven is just like any other. You have a group of artists that are striving to get a deal or some kind of recognition off of their music.  From my standpoint, looking at the other artist they just do it to do it. A lot of times,  there isn't any reasoning behind it. I call it 'rappers just rapping because they saw someone else do it and wanted to fit in.' I started at 7 years old.  Growing up was kinda crazy, as my mom wasn't around and that made me the black sheep in my family. I took to music as a get a way. I was always a writer, I got awards for creative writing in elementary. I wrote poems, until one day my cousin Dizz, who is like a sister to me inspired to try my hand at rapping.  I fell in love with it.  This is my passion. It might sound crazy but the only time when I'm actually happy is when I'm creating.  I said in a verse once time 
 
"the beat is my heart the vocals is my dna verses is my brain my heart pump bars every single day".
 
if I'm not working, I'm in the studio point blank. I have to be creative, its my drive.  





Jason Bourne: We hear often times about the importance of making your way to the Big Apple for the chance at growing as an artist, due to small towns and markets. Has that always been the case where you are from ?



Tyshon: I strongly believe you have to go out of your reach to grab onto your dreams.  If something you want is 10 feet high, you are going to have to build something to get there.(laughs).  Long story short you have to get out of your comfort zone in order to grow. If it is NYC fine, somewhere else, fine as well but it has always been important to branch out and widen the audience.  





Jason Bourne: The current focus of your promotion is The Misconception of A Gemini; break down the  meaning behind the title. What do you think is the biggest misconception as far as Geminis are concerned ?



Tyshon: The misconception of a Gemini is my 3 track E.P. It's been out for a while but I've been taught that sometimes good music takes a while so I have been consistent in pushing the content. The tracks are Bad Chick, No Good (addiction) and Say I do. They are all concept records. A big misconception about geminis is that we are two-faced. That's not true at all. We just have low tolerance for bullshit so our actions tend to change up when we see the fake in other people.


 

Jason Bourne; Moving forward you have a new single correct titled Rotation. Talk about the vibe of that record



Tyshon: Rotation is an up-beat dance track that I made for the clubs and the ladies.  I had the record for a while but needed the right time to drop it. Music at times can be seasonal and we all know the clubs get going in the winter, so here is my offering to the party-goers. DSo far I have gotten a good response from the ladies and the DJs.  It is available on Tidal, Apple Music, iTunes, Spotify, Google Play, Xbox Music um and like 96 other digital retail outlets. We wanted to make sure we placed it everywhere.  Tell your home-girl to tell her best friend, to tell her sister to tell her best friend to download Rotation


Jason Bourne: I read a quote where you said, "what female you know that won't like a record that acknowledge their independence and makes them Dance" I think that is kinda smart considering women are the biggest consumer now-a-days

Fact tho! Women buy records, they download, they will attend shows and genuinely support.  When it comes to records I am versatile. You can drop bars all day but to make a record you need a specific content or subject matter. What better to talk about or to, than women. Once I tell a woman she is everything, it works. Fellas do not forget. I haven't.

Jason Bourne: As an artist how important to you is the support of the media; I feel as though a lot of artists have not grasp that concept. Talk about your experience in that area



Tyshon: Media converge is very important. if you are building, be it fans or hype around a record the media is an important tool.  Now-a-days you cannot skip that step.  The value in it speaks for itself, and the media helps you create traction and what people determined to be relevance.  Understand your market and use the media to engage them.

Jason Bourne: I see from your bio that you are extremely hands on with your musical output, was that a conscious decision or more of a necessity?



Tyshon: I'm very hands on when it comes to everything! I do everything myself I direct and edit my own videos. I edit the pictures when I do a photoshoot. I basically handle all of my own business. I learned at a young age, if you want somthing done right you have to do it yourself. it's definitely a conscious decision and a necessity so that I know what's going on at all times.



 

Jason Bourne: I hear a lot of people testify to the fact that artists are less willing to invest in the talent or value in others so they try to do everything themselves rather than pay, what is your perspective on that ?



Tyshon: I do not have a problem with getting help from others. Different perspectives helps your brand grow.  We all know one part of the curse is that a lot of artist are just doing it for the fun and are not really serious growth.   There's no way around investing in yourself from Studio time, to videos, marketing, and other services that are important. Time is money; that's how I see it.   A wise man once told me when I was young invest in yourself cause nobody gonna invest in you and that's what I did!

 
Jason Bourne:  With the new year upon us, what should we be on the lookout for from Tyshon Hopkins?

 
Tyshon: I guess this is the part where I become the typical rapper and be like 2017 my year blah blah blah blah blah right? No. Check it out, right you're just gonna have to wait and see. My name is Tyshon and you can follow me on social media via every platform: 
 
Facebook: Tyshon Hopkins
Twitter: @HeIsTyshon
Instgram: @HeIsTyshon


Listen to Rotation: 






Purchase Rotation via iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/rotation-single/id1121467200
 
Share on Google Plus

Jason Bourne

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment